What is Delta 8? Delta 8 has become increasingly popular over the past months in the hemp world as Delta 8 vape cartridges and Delta 8 sprayed flower became the new thing. Delta 8 (D8) is a legal alternative to the federally regulated compound Delta 9.
Of the compounds within cannabis, the most cited is easily Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol, commonly referred to as THC. This psychoactive compound is the protagonist in the marijuana world as it’s responsible for the effect of feeling ‘high’. It is less common knowledge that Delta-9 is not the only THC-named compound in the plant.
Through an aging process, this compound oxidizes into an isomer known as Δ8-THC. These two phytocannabinoids are analogs that share the same structural formula but have a slightly different arrangement of atoms. The molecular similarities provide similar therapeutic avenues with different psychoactive effects.
Activity: Psychoactive (Approx 50% less potent than Δ9-THC)
Molecular Mass: 314.4617 g/mol
Boiling Point: 200 °C (392 °F)
What is Delta 8 Effects?
The primary observations around the use of this compound focus on the lower potency, resulting in less significant psychoactive properties. Delta-8 has been observed as far less likely to induce stress in high doses when compared to its parent cannabinoid delta-9. This lower potency combined with a highly useful set of benefits led researchers to research and ultimately patent the conversion:
Based on information disclosed in US-issued patents:
- “Δ8-THC, for the most part, produces similar psychometric effects as does Δ9-THC, but is generally considered to be 50% less potent”
- [Δ8-THC] “has been shown in some cases to be 3-10 times less potent”
- “Δ8-THC has also been shown to be more (200%) effective an anti-emetic than Δ9-THC”
Anecdotal experience notes:
- An article published by marijuana extractor Evolab said that Delta-8 generally compared to traditional THC as being “more upbeat, energetic and productive”.
- Leafly cites the compound as delivering “a semi-sedative physical sensation without much whimsical mental stimulation”. Important to note that this product consumed also included small amounts of delta-9.
What is Delta 8 notable for? It seems combining Δ8-THC with CBD diminishes the psychoactive effects even further. This points to the combination being an effective medicine while minimizing unwanted psychoactive effects.
Read Next: How is Delta 8 Extracted?
Delta 8 produced in USA for sale:
- Delta 8 THC Distillate
- Delta 8 Distillate 90% Pure
- Delta 8 Hemp Flower Sprayed (per lb)
- What is Delta 8?